USA: New York City: Manhattan, The Bronx, and Staten Island; New York
Conference Date: 01/26/23 LOI Date: 01/31/23 Deadline: 05/31/23 11:59 PM
Opportunity for New York City businesses in eligible regions to compete for financial support and in-kind services to grow and develop their new start-up venture. Applicants must attend a virtual orientation and submit an entry form prior to submitting an application. Successful applicants will receive practical insights about starting and growing a business while using the comprehensive small business resources at NYPL’s Thomas Yoseloff Business Center. The business proposed must operate in Manhattan, The Bronx, or Staten Island.
Others (see text field entitled "Additional Eligibility Criteria" for clarification)
Additional Criteria for Eligibility
- Age: All NY StartUP! 2022 applicants, whether individuals or members of a team, must be 18 years of age or older. Documentation may be required.
- Location: The business proposed in the NY StartUP! 2023 entry form must operate in Manhattan, The Bronx, or Staten Island.
- Residency: All individual applicants and team members must be legal residents or U.S. citizens. All individual applicants and/or team leaders must have a legal residence in Manhattan, The Bronx, or Staten Island. Documentation will be required of the finalists.
- Start-Ups Only: All businesses must have ideas or business models in the start-up phase. Operating businesses that have earned more than $10,000 in revenue are not eligible to enter the competition.
- For-Profit Businesses Only: NY StartUP! 2023 is a business plan competition for for-profit businesses. Non-profits are not eligible to enter.
- Individual and Team Entry: NY StartUP! 2023 entrants may enter only once, either as an individual or as part of a team. If entering as a team, the team must appoint one individual as the team leader and main contact, and one other as the secondary contact. The team leader must be a resident of Manhattan, the Bronx, or Staten Island. Each team member must create an account on the Competition’s FluidReview site. The team leader's entry form must list all individuals on the team.
Participants must attend one session of each of the four virtual workshops to qualify for the competition. If you've missed a workshop you can view a recording on the StartUP! Competition site. The recordings have instructions on how to receive credit for viewing the workshop.
January 2023 Workshop #1 - Business Planning Research and Resources
Virtual Orientation Sessions - Registration opens soon for the following sessions:
- Tuesday, January 17, 2023 from 6 to 7:30 PM
- Saturday, January 21, 2023 from 11 AM to 12:30 PM
- Thursday, January 26, 2023 from 6 to 7:30 PM
StartUp Trophy February 2023 Workshop #2 - Developing Your Marketing Plan
StartUp Trophy March 2023 Workshop #3 - Developing Financial Statements
StartUp Trophy April 2023 Workshop #4 - Pitching Your Plan
Entry Form Entry forms must be submitted on the NY StartUP! 2023 site no later than 11:59 PM on January 31, 2023.
- Attend a virtual Orientation Q & A Session
- Submit your entry form by January 31, 2023
- Attend one virtual Q & A session for each of the four technical workshops held January - April 2023
- Each applicant must meet at least once with a business librarian before March 15, 2023.
- Meet with a Business Advisor Each applicant must meet at least once with a business advisor during the Competition.
- Business Plans must be uploaded in PDF format to the competition site no later than 11:59 PM on May 31, 2023.