Foundation / Corporation
Matching grants ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 to Tompkins County, New York nonprofits for marketing campaigns that promote tourism and overnight stays in the area. Eligible projects are those that demonstrate a strong likelihood of significant visitor participation or attendance, as well as overnight stays in County hotels, motels, and bed and breakfast establishments. Priority will be given to projects that hold potential to draw visitors during the mid-week and/or from mid-November through April.
Projects must show how they will draw and/or serve visitors, especially overnight visitors, to Tompkins County. The primary focus is on out-of-county attendance from areas at least 90 miles from Ithaca, including major cities and small towns. Projects limited to serving the local community without a strategy for growth and regional outreach are not likely to be funded. All applicants are required to document past visitor attendance and set specific goals for future visitor attendance, as well as to outline strategies for collecting this data.
The following expenses are eligible only if they are targeted to visitors outside of Tompkins County:
- Print, radio, and television advertising
- Direct mail
- Permission-based email campaigns
- Website enhancements likely to increase tourism
- Web and social media marketing that increases traffic of potential visitors
- Production and/or distribution of collateral material
- Other types of targeted tourism marketing investments
Technical assistance from the CVB will be available to support successful grant awardees in the following areas:
- Market identification
- Vacation / destination package development
- Development of data collection mechanisms
- Demographic and market research
- Advertising design and layout
- Procurement of targeted mailing lists
GrantWatch ID#: 175719
Award Range: $1,000 to $5,000. Joint applications are eligible for additional funding.
- Non-profit organizations designated as 501(c)3
- Two or more non-profit organizations may prepare a joint application. One organization must be designated as the lead applicant to receive grant funding. (The maximum award for a joint application is equal to $5,000 per applicant.)
- Grant funds may not be used to market or advertise events whose primary purpose is fundraising for a specific cause.
- Applications that exclusively promote a religious tradition are ineligible.
- Promoted events must be open to the public. Membership in an organization must not be required to participate in the proposed event.
- Groups planning conferences or meetings in Tompkins County targeting specific interests should work through the Ithaca/Tompkins County Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB) to obtain conference services. These gatherings are not eligible for support from this grant.
Applications for the spring round of Tourism Marketing & Advertising Grants are open now. Applications are due on February 28, 2019.
Applicants must demonstrate a financial match of at least 50% of the costs of out-of-county marketing and advertising. The match must be provided in cash. Donated goods and services are not eligible sources of matching funds.
Event Planning Manual: https://tompkinsfestivals.com/manual/
General information on the Tourism Program: http://www.tompkinscountyny.gov/tourism
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://www.commongrantapplication.com/register.php?refOrgId=70636&refProgId=686&refProgType=grantsNew
Principal Planner / Tourism Program Director
USA: New York: Tompkins County