Foundation / Corporation
National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) and Penguin Random House
Awards of $10,000 to USA K-12 teachers to recognize innovative projects that advance literacy and encourage students to become lifelong readers. One award will be given to a teacher who fosters a love of poetry in students and one award will be given to a teacher who inspires students to read all genres of writing.
Nominations will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Teachers who foster a passion and love for reading in students through programs and curriculum that are innovative, original and have measurable success. Innovative can be defined as, but not limited to, multi-media, interdisciplinary or interactive.
- Teachers who take risks in presenting books and literature to students in a unique way.
- Teachers who are committed to reluctant readers and are visionary in their methods of reaching them.
- Teachers who create distinctive programs and activities that support and promote a community of readers beyond the classroom, such as parents, community groups, and nonprofits.
GrantWatch ID#: 174837
One Penguin Random House and NCTE Teacher Award for Lifelong Readers, one Maya Angelou Teacher Award for Poetry, and select honorable mentions
- 1 (one) $10,000 Penguin Random House and NCTE Teacher Award for Lifelong Readers grant award for use by the winning teacher, made payable to Awardee’s school.
- 1 (one) $10,000 Maya Angelou Teacher Award for Poetry designated for programs specifically centered around poetry, made payable to Awardee’s school.
- $2,500 in Penguin Random House titles for Awardees’ respective schools.
- Transportation, lodging, and conference registration for the two Awardees to attend the National Council of Teachers of English Annual Convention in Baltimore, Maryland, November 21-24, 2019, if not already attending.
- Select honorable mentions will receive Penguin Random House books for their classrooms.
- Multimedia coverage of the winning teachers and schools via the Penguin Random House and NCTE websites, press releases, and newsletters.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Nominate online: https://tools.eventpower.com/speaker_management/search_user?cfp=true&show_id=1816&_ga=2.262098117.952283968.1554977989-1580161315.1554977989
National Council of Teachers of English
Urbana, IL, Office
1111 W. Kenyon Road
Urbana, IL 61801-1096
Phone: 217-328-3870 or 877-369-6283
Washington DC Office
Hall of the States
444 North Capitol Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Contact form: http://www2.ncte.org/contact-us/
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming