Foundation / Corporation
Community Foundation of Elmira-Corning and the Finger Lakes
Grants ranging from $2,000 to $20,000 to New York nonprofits and agencies to address community needs in Chemung and Southeastern Steuben Counties. Applicants must submit a Letter of Intent by September 1, 2017, and all applicants are strongly encouraged to discuss their proposal prior to submittal. Most funding is given in the categories of programming, capital projects, and organizational development and capacity building.
More details on the three categories are as follows:
- Program or Direct Service Grants – For costs associated with the implementation of the program.
- Capital Grants – For costs related to building construction, building renovation, or capital equipment.
- Organizational Development and Capacity Building Grants - For costs related to activities such as strategic planning, board development, program planning, performance management and evaluation, succession planning or marketing and communications. Other organizational capacity areas under this category include business planning, fund development, facility planning, and management systems (financial, HR, technology).
Guiding Principals for grantmaking:
- The Community Foundation builds community and inspires philanthropy. It supports creative, effective and innovative programs in the areas of human services, arts and culture, education and youth, health, the environment and civic affairs. Successful projects will address community needs while demonstrating sustainable impact and measurable outcomes.
- The Foundation strives to create healthier conditions for people in the community by collectively improving and/or developing them together.
- Funded programs will provide clearly stated goals for the incorporation of diverse cultures, philosophies, and experiences. Diversity is present not only in program delivery but also in the mission, boards, and operations of the organization
- The voices of the underserved and economically diverse are important, and programs designed to foster access for community connections are preferred.
GrantWatch ID#: 162522
Grants range from $2,000 to $20,000. The average grant is $7,500.
Registered 501(c)(3) organizations or publicly supported organizations such as school districts and municipalities located in and serving the citizens of Chemung and/or Southeastern Steuben Counties, New York may apply.
More on private schools and faith-based organizations -
(1) services benefit all, regardless of religion;
(2) services provided are not religious in nature; and
(3) there is no proselytizing associated with the service.
The Community Foundation generally does not make grants from unrestricted funds for the following:
- Annual campaigns, special event fundraisers or sponsorships
- Religious purposes
- Political or partisan purposes
- Activities taking place before grant decisions are made
- Trips for schools or clubs
- Deficit funding or debt retirement
- Individuals (except through scholarships for education)
Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to discuss their grant request with the Community Foundation staff before beginning the application process.
The Foundation accepts applications once per year. All applicants must submit a letter explaining the program to be funded and the amount requested – a letter of intent – two weeks before the application deadline. The letter of intent is found within the online grant application system.
Letter of Intent Deadline: September 1, 2017
Application Deadline: September 15, 2017
Notification: Early December 2017
Instructions for use of the online application system:
Applicant Tutorial (Video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etScRJXC2bE
Download and save the Project Budget and Expense Form (Excel File) found in the Document URLs section below to your desktop, complete it in full, save (as a PDF if you can), and upload into your application.
Please Note: Private Schools and/or Tuition-Based Projects must also complete and upload the operating budget and school demographics form (fillable PDF form attached below).
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Click here to apply online: https://www.grantinterface.com/Common/LogOn.aspx?urlkey=communityfund
Contact Sara Palmer, Director of Grants and Communications, at 739-3900 or email@example.com.
The Community Foundation of Elmira-Corning and the Finger Lakes, Inc
301 South Main Street
Horseheads, NY 14845
USA: New York: Chemung County and Southeastern Steuben County